Framing the Next 12 Months
26 June 2020
Facilitated by Prof Justin Barnes (Executive Director, Toyota Wessels Institute for Manufacturing Studies), we welcomed an esteemed panel of experts to discuss and debate the economic outlook of South Africa and the manufacturing sector in light of COVID-19.
- Dr David Masondo | Deputy Minister of Finance, South African Treasury
- Dr Tim Sturgeon | Senior Research Affiliate, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Prof Vishnu Padayachee | Distinguished Professor and Derek Schrier and Cecily Cameron Chair in Development Economics, University of Witwatersrand
The discussion focused on the implications of the COVID-19 crisis for manufacturing in South Africa.
During the panel discussion, the following themes were unpacked:
- Potential changes to global value chains
- Domestic fiscal and monetary policy options
- Balancing social welfare and private sector recovery